So what is the one thing in your life that you look forward to doing? The one thing you are naturally curious about and spend time perfecting? Is it a sport? A craft? Or maybe just a leisure time activity like reading or gardening? No matter how busy or stressed you may be, this one activity brings you pleasure and peace.
For me, my passion right now is sewing. When I was younger I would sew with my mom, but I was never very patient with the process. This past summer my husband and I bought a new house and now I have a room for crafting/sewing. Once I got all my stuff organized and the sewing machine set up - I have been spending a lot of time sewing. For the first time in my life, I am really enjoying the process. I am reading books and blogs about how to become a better seamstress. I want to be successful and I am doing my best to make that happen. And if I do say so myself...I am pretty good at it.
So at this point you are probably wondering what sewing or your passion has to do with wellness. I am about to get to that, but first here are a few questions for you to ponder:
I assume that your passion is important enough, that you will take extra time to do it right or to practice so that you can become better or more proficient. Is it possible that your health and wellness might also be something worth practicing and spending time to perfect?
Does your passion challenge you? Does it spark your curiosity? Do you enjoy this challenge and take the extra time to reach a goal? Is there an aspect of your health and wellness that might challenge you and therefore prompt your curiosity and hard work to reach a goal?
Is there a way for you to combine your passion with becoming a healthier person?
During the last group support meeting we talked about these questions and had some great discussion about ways to combine a personal passion with wellness. One member in particular spoke about how she never has time to read (her passion). So she bought a Creative Zen reader, MP3 player so she can listen to books while gardening, driving or taking a walk. With a simple tool like a Creative Zen, Ipod or other MP3 player you can combine a task like exercise with a leisure activity like reading. I also made the suggestion that if you like listening to books on tape when you are walking outside or on a treadmill, don't let yourself listen to the next chapter until you are exercising. This can be a great incentive to get more physical activity.
So how can you combine your passion with becoming a healthier person? What aspect of wellness sparks your curiosity? Please take a moment to post a comment if you have something to share with the group.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment